Asian Garlic and Lime Meatballs with Spiced Tomato Sauce
These flavourful meatballs, featuring our Sparks Asian Garlic and Lime Chutney, make a satisfying main course but could also be served in smaller portions as an appetiser or party nibble. This is also a great make ahead recipe as it freezes well. So why not make a double batch for a speedy supper on a busy weeknight.Buy Sparks Asian Garlic & Lime Chutney Here
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the Meatballs
- 500 g Minced beef
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- ½ Onion finely diced
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ⅛ tsp Black pepper
- 2 tbsp Sparks Asian Garlic and Lime Chutney
For the Tomato Sauce
- ½ Onion finely diced
- 1 tbsp Sunflower oil or other flavourless cooking oil
- 600 g Tinned tomatoes chopped
- 3/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black pepper
- ½ tsp Garlic paste
- ½ tsp Ginger paste
- ⅛ tsp Chilli powder
- ½ tsp Ground cumin
- ½ tsp Ground coriander
- ½ tsp Garam masala
- 10 g Fresh coriander
Prepare the meatballs:
- Put the beef onto a large chopping board and scatter the remaining ingredients over the top.
- Use your hands to knead the ingredients into each other for 1-2 minutes.
- When everything is well distributed, divided the mixture into 16-20 portions and roll each one into a ball in the palms of your hands.
- Place on a lined roasting sheet and bake at 200C/ 400F/ GM 6 for 15 minutes
Prepare the Sauce:
- Fry the onion in the oil for 2-3 minutes until beginning to soften.
- Add the garlic and ginger pastes, stir, then scatter in the spices and seasoning. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, stir well then let cook for 15 minutes.
- Scatter the coriander in then use a stick blender to break down the sauce until smooth.
- Transfer the meatballs from the oven to the sauce and let everything cook for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Serve immediately with some basmati rice or naan bread for scooping up that tasty sauce. A few coriander leaves on top makes the ideal garnish.
Expert Tips • Leave the sauce chunky if preferred. • Once cooked this dish can be cooled and stored in the fridge for up to 2 days. When required, simply reheat until piping hot and serve. • These meatballs can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Let defrost thoroughly before reheating. • Try serving the meatballs in small bowls as a party nibble. • Gunpowder Hot Garlic Pickle or Dreams Garlic and Onion Chutney could be used in place of the Sparks Chutney. Buy Sparks Asian Garlic & Lime Chutney Here