Chickpea Tagine with Apricot and Ginger
This vegetarian tagine is a tasty yet healthy meal to serve up at lunchtime or dinnertime. It’s quick, easy and relatively cheap to make and of course, our Ecstasy Apricot and Ginger chutney really does add a delectable level of fruity sweetness to it.Click here to buy Ecstasy Chutney
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 400 g Tin of chickpeas
- 1 Onion
- 2 tsp Garlic paste
- 2 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 Red pepper
- 2 Tomatoes
- 30 g Pistachio nuts unsalted, shells removed
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 tsp Ground coriander
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Paprika mild
- ¼ tsp Ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Chilli flakes optional
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Preserved lemon
- 2 Tbsp Ecstasy Apricot and Ginger Chutney
- Finely dice the onion and fry in a little oil until beginning to soften.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger pastes and cook for 1 more minute.
- Dice the tomatoes and roughly chop the pepper. Add to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree, spices and salt.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas then toss into the saucepan along with the pistachio nuts, the Ecstasy chutney and 125ml water.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Finley dice the preserved lemon, add to the pan and taste. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Try serving this lovely veggie tagine with herby couscous and a sprinkling of crumbled feta cheese.
Expert Tips • This tagine can be eaten hot or cold, so leftovers make a great addition to lunchboxes. • Swap the pistachio nuts for almonds. • Increase the fruitiness of this tagine by adding in either an extra tablespoon of Ecstasy chutney or roughly chopping a few dried apricots and stirring them in. • If you do not have preserved lemon in your pantry add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice before serving instead. Buy Ecstasy Chutney Here